Mason in 3D

On Friday August 13th, Mason had a second eye surgery to attempt to straighten his eyes. After the surgery, Dr. M. came out and told me that the surgery went well. He said that Mason’s eyes would appear overcorrected (turned in), but that the surgery had gone well. When I finally saw Mason open his eyes, I was horrified. They were swollen, and he looked cross-eyed. I had a hard time believing that they would straighten out. Each day since the surgery his eyes have looked a little straighter. Sometimes I can see that he is using only one eye, and other times I see him looking straight with both eyes. Dr. M. believes that Mason will start to see in 3D and gain depth perception. It’s hard to imagine the world the way Mason was seeing it. He could not see distance, and his brain probably saw two overlapping images. We won’t know exactly what Mason sees until he’s old enough to articulate it. However, I’ve already noticed him doing things he didn’t do before. He runs with his arms down. He bounces a ball and chases it. He dunks the basketball in the Little Tykes Hoop, he moves his hips more, and he isn’t afraid of toys like his rocking horse that he formerly avoided. I’m happy for Mason and hope he can have the vision to pursue the activities he wants to in life. He’s always liked to dance, and now he’s imitating tap dancing. As soon as he can follow instructions of a dance teacher, he’ll be in class.


Mason’s occupational therapist suggested that Mason has a sensory integration dysfunction. I’ve been doing some reading on the different types of dysfunctions, and one category fits Mason to a T. Mason is a sensory seeking child who is jumping and crashing into anything he can. He is an excessive risk taker. Because of his eye sight, he cannot do puzzles, write with a crayon, or ride a bike. Mason likes to be spun around, and he likes to put his head on the ground and do somersaults. He has meltdowns when he cannot get enough sensory input like when he is confined in a car or shopping with me in a store. I am trying to help him learn adaptive coping techniques. His behavior sometimes appears naughty to others, and he does have to learn to fit in to society, but I’m learning that whispering to him helps more than yelling at him.

As summer comes to a close, I am gearing up to be back on campus full time, and Mason will return to daycare five days a week. This will be a big adjustment for both of us. Last year Mason got every illness that came along including the H1N1 virus. I really hope things are better this year. I’ll miss our days together, but I look forward to spending cool fall evenings together outside on the deck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Dogs Go To Heaven

The Crazy Train